Though the decriminalization and legalization of marijuana have been continuously discussed by many countries and have been seen as substantial, a lot of growers especially those whose main purpose is for personal use are still having a doubt, giving their way to grow marijuana within their perspective privacy and start their DIY grow box. This is why indoor marijuana cultivation has become a trend.
Linked to marijuana cultivation is a great expense, cannabis cultivators are breaking their own pockets to successfully do everything on their own. From the seed to the electricity bill, water bill, other expenses for equipment and other needed materials such as soil mix, etc, it has been regarded as pretty much expensive.
With the urge of many marijuana cultivators to have their expenses in growing cannabis plants to become efficient and less expensive, some make their own grow box. As others have difficulty in securing their garden, great quality marijuana plants cannot be procured with growing it in just a plain room without considering other factors like the temperature, lighting, air circulation and so.
In this article, we will be talking about how to make your own grow box. But before we even go any further, let us have an overview of what a DIY grow box is and what are the factors to put into consideration in successfully making it.
What is a DIY grow box?
A DIY grow box is customized marijuana grow box that has been built from top to bottom. It is typically easier to make than other home stuff cabinets. Depending on your grow preferences, it can be created by using old wardrobes or refrigerators to attain your perspective privacy. It will act as your cannabis plant’s own home as they grow.
What are the factors to put into consideration?
To create a good DIY home for your lovely marijuana plants, there are few factors to put into consideration to make sure that it can effectively help your cannabis grow healthier and successful.
The first thing you have to consider is the size of the grow box you will be making. Depending on how many plants you wanted to specifically grow inside gives you a better view of how big the grow box is and its entire dimension.
As the grow box is contained, making sure your marijuana plants would grow healthy requires sufficient lighting. One that is very efficient and cheaper, LED lights are becoming popular as it does provide lower heat for sufficient and successful plant growth.
If you do not have any access to LED lights at the moment, other light sources are okay such as HID, HPS, and fluorescent lights. However, with their higher heat output, requiring a solid stand or hanging apparatus would help you work your way out to graded quality plants.
As marijuana plants require air to survive just like their need to light and water, making your own grow tent with enough air circulation is necessary. With that, having a ventilation system is a must. A fan and air filter within your grow box should be installed for better growth and quality harvest.
Steps to DIY grow box
Before providing you the detailed steps in creating your DIY grow box, the following equipment and materials are required before even starting the process.
What do you need to prepare?
Shell (This may be an old cabinet box, toolbox, or old computer casing)
LED lights (This includes light cord and light plug)
Old computer fan or small fan that can fit in your grow box size (2 pieces depending on the size)
Other equipment such as scissors, driller, duct tape, etc.
What are the steps?
- Prepare for the shell. If you are thinking of using an old cabinet box, make sure to remove any partition if necessary. Allow a wide space for your growing plants to experience good spacing. Also, make sure that the shell you will be using is steady and as such, includes a door. If there is none, you can create it on your own by looking for a piece of wood and placing it with hinges.
- Fix your LED lights at the ceiling of your grow box and make sure it is steadily placed to prevent it from falling. Arrange the light cord in the edge of the box and make a hole in the corner where you will be placing out the cord to be connected to the switch.
- Make a hole on your shell base for air circulation.
- Place the old computer fan or a small fan of your selection on both opposite sides of the box. The location should ensure that the air is equally distributed. The same thing goes with the cord of your lighting, arrange the fan cord in the edge of the box and place it out in the hole where it will be connected to the switch.
- Place the carbon filter on the outer bottom where the hole for your air circulation was made.
As soon as your DIY grow box is finished, you can now place your plants. Your marijuana plants should be placed on pots. Make sure that your plants are not confined in the box.
There are different options of shell you can use in creating your DIY grow box for marijuana. Depending on your preference, making your own grow box for your cannabis plants is a very easy step. Not only that you can save a lot of money, but you can also learn how to do it in case you wanted to grow as many cannabis plants you want without even spending a lot from buying.
The only thing you need to do is have some time and effort because, at the end of the day, all your time and effort won’t be put into waste. Hoping the above steps have helped you a lot in making your way to building your DIY grow box.