If you are planning to learn about growing cannabis on your own, it is important to strive to learn everything that you can about the plant. For cannabis, it would do every aspiring grower good to educate themselves about each type of cannabis and what makes them different. In this particular article, you will be able to dive deeper into the world of feminized VS regular seeds and which one would fit more for the type of grower you are.
Cannabis Reproduction: An Overview
Before the discussion of feminized VS regular seeds, you should first now about cannabis reproduction and the sexes. A cannabis plant can be classified as male, female, or hermaphroditic in terms of its gender.
On the one hand, male cannabis plants are those who can develop sacs of pollen as they mature. On the other hand, female cannabis plants are those who develop pistils and flowers. When these pistils catch pollen, the plant produces seeds that cultivators can use for growing more plants.
In some cases, hermaphroditic plants are produced. They have both of the reproduction organs: calyxes and pollen sacs. This usually happens when the cannabis plant experiences stress while it grows. In order to survive, the plant produces both sex organs and reproduces through its own efforts.
These factors are key to understand how regular seeds and feminized seeds work.
Regular Cannabis Seeds: An Overview
If you get regular cannabis seeds and plant them, there is a 50% chance that you get a female or a male plant. This is how it naturally works, so this goes without any form of genetic modification or manipulations.
Because this method gives the chance to grow males instead of females, regular seeds are usually recommended for breeders that would like to explore the creation of new strains and are looking into creating new types of strains. By pollinating their female plants with the male plants that they grow, they will be able to harvest seeds and give birth to a new generation of cannabis plants.
Do you have different preferences in your cannabis seeds? You will be able to find regular seeds with Indica genetics, Sativa genetics, high CBD content, and high THC content.
Feminized Cannabis Seeds: An Overview
Feminized seeds are designed so that it will become easier to produce female plants. This type of growth will increase the chances of getting a female plant to around 99.9%. This type of cannabis seed is unique because this removes the process of having to monitor during the flowering stage so that you can separate the males from the females.
With feminized seeds, a grower will feel safe and secure because growing out all of your feminized seeds will mean that you will be able to harvest the buds that all cannabis enthusiasts seek at every time.
Feminized seeds are created in two different ways
- The first strategy used by many cannabis breeders is through colloidal silver. This substance has the power to cease the production of ethylene in the tissues of the cannabis, which will force the female plants to produce pollens on their own.
- The other option to produce feminized seeds is to wait for nature’s course to lead the female plant to procreate. This usually happens when female cannabis plants are left too long unpollinated, so they decide to try things out in their own hands.
When the female plants change their sexes so that they can fertilize themselves, pollen-producing structures are formed in the plant. They are known in the cannabis community as bananas. The bananas produce feminized pollen, which will intern produce feminized seeds.
Advantages of Growing Regular Seeds
- Regular seeds allow people to breed and create new strains.
- Regular seeds give way to growing new male and female plants.
- Breeders make use of regular seeds in creating a pollen bank for future cultivations.
- Regular seeds have the widest selection of strains in every generation of cannabis development.
- Growing regular seeds allow the production of different cuttings that can be used to make clones for breeding.
Advantages of Growing Feminized Seeds
- Feminized seeds are ideal for cannabis growers that are seeking nothing but delicious and dank buds.
- Feminized seeds take away the gamble of the 50/50 genetic game and the burden of the unknown.
- Growers have 99.9% assurance that they will produce female plants with feminized seeds.
- Feminized seeds are most cost-effective for cannabis users, and this streamlines the cannabis growing process to be much more efficient.
Cons of Growing Regular Seeds
- With regular seeds, growers have to make a casual effort to separate the growing areas of female plants from male plants to prevent the possibility of cross-pollination.
- Regular seeds are very unpredictable – as you will never know what genders they will grow up to be until they produce their reproductive organs.
- Producing male plants accidentally can lead to immediate fertilization of flowers.
Cons of Growing Feminized Seeds
- Feminized seeds will not be useful should you have plans of breeding cannabis strains on your own.
- When feminized seeds are exposed to stress or possess bad genetics, they might grow into hermaphrodites.
- Feminized seeds are unable to produce clones, or if they can, the clones are usually not viable for growing potent buds.
Feminized VS Regular Seeds: Which One Is For You?
Both feminized and regular seeds have proven that they are both beneficial to the entire cannabis community. They offer their own advantages and disadvantages, depending on how you look at it.
On the one hand, feminized seeds are perfect for cannabis enthusiasts that are only after getting the delicious buds. On the other hand, go for regular seeds if you are planning on developing cannabis hybrids on your own. The same goes if you are seeking to create a mother plant that you can use for cloning.
In conclusion, in the battle of feminized VS regular seeds, the winner will depend on which one would fit the requirement that you have at the moment.