Dry ice hash is one of the easiest and fastest ways that you can make hash from trim or bud. This method of extraction of that psychoactive resin from those awesome bugs is said to be the most efficient way to do so. Not only that, but it does not require you to use any solvents in the process. Making dry ice hash from trim or bud not only helps you avoid inhaling any harmful chemicals but also allows you to have one of the smoothest and purest experiences of cannabis ever if done right.
Hash Potency and Purity
The potency of the hash is also dependent on the weed strain used and the extraction method used. Hash is definitely more potent than unprocessed buds. Note that hash purity varies as, in Europe, the confiscated hash during 2011 had 4 to 15% purity. This purity level was improved from 2000 to 2005 as the percentage of purity went up to 18. Note that purity means that the hash is free of adulterations such as plant material and other kinds of matter.
Concentrated Marijuana Resin
Note that the quality of the hash that you make is also highly dependent on the nugs. One great advantage of making hash is those lower quality buds will be extracted to become a concentrate that is a better form to take as it would require less consumption. Yet, keep in mind that the properties and medical benefits will still be the same. Hash is the buds separated to keep the precious resin to be kept in storage in that form. Be it indica, sativa, or a hybrid weed stain, the hash will be only good as the buds.
Making Hash is Easy
Now you may be thinking that making your own hash at home is difficult. You can do it if you approach it as a challenge that you can excel at. It truly is a breeze! And, what you will be making is a marijuana product that is so concentrated, just a little will go a long way to give a high that is that of world-renowned hash. You can even make your own hash according to weed strain!
Not a Chemical Process
You can make excellent hash and there is no need to have a science lab to do so. What you’ll require is easily available materials, a clean table to work on, a few minutes of your time, a bit of elbow grease, and of course, those fabulous buds to make into hash. And, using the dry ice hash method, you can use the dry ice again to make one to three batches of hash.
The process of separating the resin from the plant material has been done for hundreds of years. Here are a few other methods of making hash from trim or bud:
There is the making of small balls of hash that are known as charas. This is done with using the crude method of gathering the precious cannabis buds and then rubbing these between the hands. Then the sticky resin is collected and formed. This method may seem primitive but it works.
This is the removal of dried plant material from the resin by using a screen to sieve it to become a powder. This drysift powder is also called ‘kief’. This powder is then processed further with the application of heat to make it into a hashish block. This block is pliable and gooey. This marijuana product is rather transparent and will melt if touched.
There is a chemical method of separation with the use of a solvent such as butane or ethanol to dissolve the resin from the buds. The plant material that does not dissolve will be filtered out and discarded. The solvent is subjected to the process of evaporation by being boiled so what will be left is the resin that is transformed into hash oil.
Why Make Dry Ice Hash?
There are many different ways of making hash. One of the more popular methods is with the use of butane as a solvent. Although this is pretty effective in extracting the resin from cannabis plants, there may be instances that traces of butane can be left in with the finished product. This makes it “tainted” and can leave you to inhale this harmful substance.
CO2 extraction or the dry ice method, on the other hand, allows you to get as much as of the cannabis resin as possible in the safest way there is. Not only that, but this process won’t pose too much danger in doing unlike with butane which is highly flammable.
Here are other reasons why making dry ice hash it the way to go:
It is Simple to Make
Dry ice hash is uncomplicated and very easy to make. You won’t need any expensive equipment at all to make it. You are basically just shaking a bucket to make it.
It Only Takes a Few Minutes
Other methods of making hash require the most part of your day to prepare. When you do it with dry ice, you can be done in just minutes. All you need to know is the right method and your bud or trimmings to be able to get your hash immediately.
You Can Use it Right Away
Making hash with dry ice avoids any moisture from seeping into the resin. This means that you can use the hash right after the process is over.
How to Handle Dry Ice
Before we go into how to make the hash, it is important that you know how to handle dry ice properly first. Dry ice is not dangerous at all there are just some precautions that you have to do to be sure that you are handling it properly. Because of its really low temperatures and it’s turning into gas, knowing these things are important.
- First, you have to think about ventilation – Dry ice turns into CO2 when it evaporates so it’s best that you keep it in an area that has good ventilation to help you breathe. It’s really nice to see dry ice ‘smoke’ when this process happens.
- Second, have some protection for your hands such as gloves when handling dry ice – The warmest temperature that dry ice has is -190.3°F. If you use your bare hands to hold the ice, you can burn it quicker than putting it over a burning fire. Yes, dry ice will cause a kind of burn on the skin so be careful.
- Third, don’t use airtight containers – You want to avoid putting dry ice on these types of containers so that they won’t suddenly explode. This is because dry ice converts into CO2 very quickly so they need room to turn into gas.
- Fourth, the last thing you have to know is that dry ice should be disposed of in the proper way – You can’t just put them down the drain since doing that will freeze your pipes. The proper manner to dispose of that the dry ice when it is used is to leave it in a well-ventilated area and allow them to disappear into gas.
Materials That You Need to Make Dry Ice Hash
- Sanitized five-gallon bucket
- Snow gloves or bbq gloves
- Dry ice – 3lbs is needed about 6 ounces of hash
- Hash bags, bubble bags, pollen bags, or mesh bags with small holes
- Ground cannabis buds or trimmings
- A credit card or an unused paint scraper
- A large clean flat surface, tray, or plexiglass
How to Make Dry Ice Hash from Trim or Bud
- Place the ground marijuana and dry ice into the sanitized bucket. Just add it all in.
- Take the hash bag or any other kind of bag that you will use and fit it on the bucket opening. Make sure that if there is a mesh side, that it is correctly placed and is facing down to properly facilitate the filtering when the bucket is turned upside down.
- Pick up the bucket and slowly shake and swirl it. Do this for around 3 to 4 minutes. The movement will make the resinous stalks separate from the bud plant material. Place the bucked down.
- Make sure that your clean surface, tray, or plexiglass is ready. Also, ensure that the bag covering the bucket opening is secure and will hold. Then, in one sure move, turn the cannabis and dry ice filled bucket upside down. This move will empty out the contents of the bucket into the bag. Simple but don’t make a mistake when you turn the bucket as all the stuff will fall onto a table or floor instead of into the bag.
- Once the bag has the contents of the bucket, hold the top part to close the ends. Then, start shaking the bag on the clean surface, tray, or plexiglass. Make sure that you are holding the bag securely. Keep on shaking. The resin will be filtered by the bag to drop onto the catch area.
- Keep on shaking the bag, making sure the dry ice is moving around so that the precious marijuana resin will fall. Stop shaking the bag when there is no longer any resin falling from it.
- Place the bag aside on top of a clean surface as you can use it again to filter more cannabis buds or trim if you plan to make more hash while the dry ice is still in good solid condition. If you don’t plan to make another batch, dispose of the used bag properly.
- Use a scraper or a credit card to gather the resin that is on that flat surface. You can push all the resin from the sides to make a neat pile in the middle of the area.
- Transfer the resin to a clean container.
- Repeat the process if you want to make hash using another weed stain by pouring the dry ice bag contents back into the bucket. Replace the hash bag.
- Repeat the process by pouring the dry ice bag contents back into the bucket. if you want to make hash using another hash bag with a different micron count.
Your dry ice hash from trim or bud is now ready to use!
About the Hash Bags
The mesh is important. The smaller the micron count of the mesh, the higher the quality of the marijuana product. A 73-micron hash bag is to be used to make golden kief which is hash resin in powdered form. If you use a 160-micron hash bag then there will be a bit more of plant material in the powder mix. If you are using other kinds of bags to make dry ice hash from trim or bud, just keep in mind, the smaller the holes used for filtering, the higher the quality of the hash that will be produced as it will have less plant material.
Don’t Cry Over Spilled Resin
Don’t gather any a dirty area as it has missed the tray or has fallen onto the floor as it will lessen the purity of your hash as that kind of resin you might want to save can be contaminated and adulterated, to spoil the quality of your DIY hash made using dry ice.
Hash, also known as hashish, comes from the Arabic word that translates to the word “grass”. It basically is the essence of cannabis drawn out of the marijuana plant. Basically, it is the literal definition of cannabis concentrate and is also called cannabis resin.
The Very Essence of Marijuana
This is made out of the extraction of the trichomes, which are the stalker resin glands of the buds of a female cannabis plant. The resin is what holds all the medicinal cannabinoids and aromatic terpenes. These trichromes are the very essence of a marijuana plant. Since hash is derived from the buds of a female marijuana plant, it does have the same properties. It is simply more powerful than smoking the buds as hashish mainly contains the resin.
How to Use Hash
It is difficult to smoke hash when rolled into a joint as it burns poorly. When rolling into a joint, the hash can be mixed with marijuana or tobacco so it will be easier to burn and smoke. Hash can be smoked using a pipe, bong, or herbal vaporizer. It can be consumed orally as it is edible when it is in an oil form. Hash can be added to food when making edibles the proper way by subjecting the food item to heat, but make sure just to add a very small amount as it is a concentrate. Hash oil can also be added to food and drink to make it into edibles.
Enjoy using your own hash immediately after making it using dry ice!