What do you do with extra cannabis-infused butter? Aside from using this tasty and potent butter on dishes, you can actually use cannabutter to bake all kinds of bread and pastries including special pot brownies.
This is a weed brownie recipe that will make tasty and strong cannabutter brownies. Cannabutter has been around to spice up edibles but it is more commonly used to bake brownies with a zing. Do you want your brownies to have a smooth yet potent high or do you like being taken to the moon and back? The key to making very strong weed brownies is to add as much cannabutter as you can.
Not only will you be able to get the most potent brownies but also the most delicious. Cannabutter is naturally a bit bitter but it can be enhanced with the type of chocolate recipe for brownies you will use. Chocolate will hide the bitterness in weed butter but won’t affect the potency of the cannabutter.
Also, water is added to the mixture to also filter out any other bad-tasting ingredient. Those who have tried cannabutter in brownies swear that this is one of the best they have ever had. Cannabutter is also better tasting than regular butter too and has the recreational and therapeutic effects that you won’t get from your usual brand.
The Easiest Cannabis Brownie Recipe
Ready-to-bake brownies or even no-bake brownies are now available in most supermarkets making it easier even for a five-year-old to make brownies. This recipe uses a commercially prepared brownie mix so everything else is already taken care of. All you need to do is to find the most potent cannabis butter you can find and add this to this recipe. Here is a very short list of all the things you need:
- Brownie mix (commercially-prepared)
- 1 cup (8 oz., or 2 sticks) of cannabutter
1. Prepare Your Oven
Heat your oven up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Prepare the Commercially-available Brownie Mix Batter
Read the instructions found at the back of your brownie mix and follow this well. The mix will be ready to use but usually, it will indicate that you need to use oil. You will substitute oil with cannabutter.
How much cannabutter you will need to substitute a few tablespoons of oil? You substitute a tablespoon of cannabutter for a tablespoon of oil. Simply melt the cannabutter in a small pan and once the butter is ready, take only the amount you need.
But as what we explained here, you can use more cannabutter if you want a more potent brownie. In this case, add cannabutter only a small amount at a time so your recipe won’t end up too greasy or too runny.
3. Line the Baking Pan with Cannabutter
Take any remaining butter and use this to line the pan. This will make it easier for the cooked brownie to slide right out from the pan after you are done.
4. Pour the Brownie Mix in the Pan
After lining the pan with butter, pour the brownie mixture in. Tap the pan slightly with a spatula to let the mixture settle evenly at the bottom. Doing so will also help remove any air pockets that may have developed as you poured the mixture from the bowl to the pan.
5. Bake Your Cannabutter Brownies
Place the pan in the middle portion of the oven. Bake according to the directions on the brownie box. Test the brownie if it’s ready using a toothpick.
6. Cool the Newly-baked Brownies
When your brownies are ready, remove these from the oven and place it on the counter. Let it stand for at least 20 minutes.
7. Cut the Brownies into Smaller Pieces
With a sharp knife, cut the brownies accordingly. This way, you will be able to dose on cannabutter brownies better.
Another Cannabis Brownie Recipe
This time we will make a brownie mix from scratch. If you want to make your own brownie mix and use fresh ingredients then this is the recipe for you. Take note that you can enjoy your brownies as is or you can make it festive and add frosting. Brownies with frosting mean that you will get a more potent variety since you will also be using cannabutter to make the frosting.
What You Will Need
- 1 cup of cannabutter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons softened cannabutter or regular butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Prepare your oven
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Soften Cannabutter in a Small Saucepan
Melted cannabutter will substitute for oil.
3. Combine Eggs, Vanilla, and Sugar in the Saucepan
Combine eggs, sugar, and vanilla in the saucepan where you melted the cannabutter. Use a spatula to blend everything while the saucepan is still over low heat. Remove from heat when the cannabutter has completely melted. Wait till the mixture has warmed a bit and stir in the sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
4. Mix all Ingredients in a Large Bowl
Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use a spatula to combine the ingredients completely.
5. Grease an 8-inch Square Pan
Use a small amount of cannabutter to line a square pan. Spread the butter carefully. This will prevent the brownies from sticking to the sides of the pan so you can just slide it out of the pan as well.
6. Bake the Brownies
Bake the brownies inside preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Bake this until all the sides start to pull away from the edge of the pain. Check if the center of the brownies is ready using a toothpick.
How to Make the Frosting
1. Mix all the ingredients to make the frosting
Mix 3 tablespoons of softened canna butter, a dash of honey, a teaspoon of vanilla and 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar.
A spatula or a hand mixer should be used to mix all the ingredients. You need to mix this thoroughly to create a smooth, icing-like consistency.
2. Apply the Frosting on the Brownies
Use a spatula or a knife to apply the frosting on top and on the sides of the brownies.
Lighter Cannabis Brownie Recipe
If you don’t want fudge-like brownies and you want your brownies to have a softer, cake-like consistency, then this recipe for a lighter brownie recipe is for you. And when it comes to a fluffy, light cake, only tempting Devil’s Food cake mix will do. This cake recipe is available from the local supermarket and stores so you won’t have to look far.
What You Will Need
- 1 pack of Devil’s Food Cake
- 1 cup of cannabutter
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup chopped nuts, marshmallows or chocolate chips
1. Prepare Your Oven
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Soften the Cannabutter
You will use cannabutter instead of oil in this recipe. Melt the cannabutter in a small pan under low heat.
3. Mix all the Brownies Ingredients
Combine milk, cake mixture and nuts/chocolate in a mixing bowl and use a spatula to mix everything together until you achieve a smooth consistency.
4. Line Your Baking Pan with Cannabutter
Spread the cannabutter in an ungreased 13″ x 9″ baking pan. Cannabutter will prevent the cake batter from sticking on the side of the pan and will also allow the baked brownies to slide out when it’s done.
5. Bake the Brownies in the Oven
Bake the brownies for about 10-15 minutes, or until the edges of the brownies start to pull away from the sides. The center should be set; you can test this using a toothpick.
6. Cool the Brownies
Place the brownies on the counter and let it cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Cut the Brownies Accordingly when these are Cool
When the brownies are cool cut these according to your desired shape using a sharp knife. Doing so makes it easy to dose on your cannabutter brownies.
How to Dose on Cannabis Brownies and Other Edibles
Dosing is a part of making cannabis edibles like brownies. You want to make a brownie that has enough kick to use recreationally and medicinally. Dosing prevents dangerous side effects as well.
This is also important to determine the amount of cannabis material for every serving especially if you want to market your product. To do this, you need to employ a more efficient way to dose your cannabis edible.
Usually, it starts with how potent your cannabutter is which depends on the type of material used to make the butter (whether sativa or indica, the amount of THC or CBD in the strain). Every small detail matters especially if you are making a batch of medicinal brownies.
Consider that you used cannabutter with 100 mg potency and you used an entire block of this butter on the brownie mix. A block of cannabutter will yield twice the yield of the brownie mix in the first recipe. Therefore it would be safe to say that you will be making a pan of brownies with 100 mg THC. Once the brownies are down, cut these in 10 pieces. You will be able to approximate that each piece will be at least 10 mg each.
What is the ideal dose of cannabis brownie? To get the ideal dose for cannabutter brownies, you can use cannabutter dosing calculators which are available online. Wake + Bake offer a handy online calculator for cannabis dosing. With this online calculator, you can dose your brownies and all kinds of marijuana-infused edibles.
How Long Before Cannabis Edibles Take Effect
An edible like a brownie can take 2-3 hours to take effect. There are a number of factors that can help you make an estimate as to when to expect the edible’s effects. If you have eaten a meal before consuming brownies it could take time to take effect.
When to take your next dose? You can always eat more edibles after you have experienced the effects of the initial dose.
How do you make sure that you are making a potent edible? Make sure that your raw material has the best quality. Therefore, if you want to bake potent brownies, you must learn how to make good quality cannabutter first.
Remember the Following When Making Cannabutter Brownies
Alternative to Cannabutter
Cannabutter is a basic ingredient in baking the best brownies but what happens if you don’t have any butter handy? While cannabutter is the ideal ingredient for baking and other creamy recipes, you may also use canna-oil.
Canna oil is oil that is manufactured from fresh cannabis added to canola, olive, coconut or other types of oil. If a recipe requires vegetable oil and you have cannabutter then you can use this. Just take the amount and use the equivalent amount in softened butter.
Butter is interchangeable with oil even in regular baking and cooking recipes. You simply have to follow instructions well and be prepared for food that has a richer smell, aroma, and taste than regular butter or oil when use cannabutter or canna-oil.
In Making Cannabis Brownies, Can You Sprinkle Dried Herbs in the Mixture?
If you are wondering if you want to take a short cut and make cannabis brownies by sprinkling herbs in the mixture, the answer is a big no. You cannot just sprinkle dried cannabis herbs in the batter in hopes that your brownies will be potent.
This will only lead to a bitter tasting brownie and not the kind of creamy and sweet brownie that you expect to get. The only way to make potent brownies is to use cannabutter or canna oil when you make the batter. Dried herbs will change the texture of the brownies too.
What About the Effects?
If you are new to eating cannabis edibles then you must start with a low dose. This is also true if you are new to taking a strain or you are new to consuming cannabis altogether. When eating cannabis edibles, you must always remember to be patient.
Patient goes a long way considering that the effects of cannabis can take a long time to take effect. Cannabis edibles coming from states that have received legalization have mandated dosage limits. In Colorado, the mandated dosage for commercial edibles is 10 milligrams of THC per serving.
The effects will depend on the type of strain used to make the edible and how the edible was manufactured. If you are eating brownies made of indica-dominant flower then you should expect a relaxing effect.
If you are eating an edible made from sativa then you can expect an energizing effect. It pays to know the different effects so you won’t have to worry about any side effect.
How to Make Cannabutter
Your cannabutter’s quality and potency will all depend on the type of strain you will use to make it. Use a fine quality, potent strain then you will get cannabutter worthy of being used for baking and creating amazing types of food. Use low quality cannabis then your butter will just be as good as regular butter used for spreads and salads.
Where can you find good quality cannabis to make cannabutter? Purchase dry marijuana from reputable dealers or suppliers. Ask help from your budtender to find out what strain will work best when making cannabutter.
It is possible that your final product won’t taste and smell the same as the regular taste and smell of cannabis. This is because there are a lot of factors that can affect the characteristic of the end product. First of all, the type of butter you used can totally alter the taste of cannabis. There are so many types of butter: buttermilk, salted, organic, etc. and each of these has their own taste and smell.
Another thing that can alter the final taste and aroma of weed used in cannabutter are the ingredients used in baking and cooking. Chocolate, for instance, is available in different types as well. There are sweet, bitter, milk chocolates and chocolates laced with wine. These again can affect the final taste and aroma of the cannabis as well as the batch of brownies you will make.
To make marijuana-infused butter you need to apply heat to your flowers. Heat will activate the THC. This is known as decarboxylation which simply means to decarb heat in 240 degrees or higher temperatures. The chopped cannabis buds and even plant matter will be exposed to high heat using a regular oven.
The material is scattered on a baking sheet and then baked for 40 minutes. You must turn the dried cannabis a couple of times to ensure that these are cooked evenly. The cannabis plant material will soon become dry and crumbly when held. Remove from the oven and leave it on the counter to cool before use.
Making the Butter
- Boil a quart of water in a saucepan. You can vary the amount of water if you wish. As mentioned, water improves the taste and dilutes the cannabutter. Just make sure that marijuana is floating 1 ½ to 2 inches from the bottom of the pot before you start boiling the water.
- While the water is boiling, add the butter and let this melt. Mostly, around 4 sticks of butter for every ounce of marijuana are used. This translates to a half ounce of weed for 2 sticks of butter. But of course, you may change this if you want a more potent cannabutter. If you are using a very light strain, you can enhance the effects, flavor, and aroma of the butter by adding more weed.
- After the butter has completely melted, add the dried marijuana. Reduce heat before adding the cannabis. This way you are preserving the potency of your cannabutter. The dried marijuana should be stirred well so that these may fold into the melted butter evenly.
- Place the mixture in a low simmer and leave this to cook for three hours. This is cooking in very low heat to still preserve the potency of cannabis.
- The butter is ready when the top of the mix becomes shiny and thick.
Straining Your Cannabutter
- As the butter cooks prepare the bowl which will be used to hold the finished cannabutter product. Use a heatproof bowl or a container with a cover made of plastic to protect the cannabutter,
- Place a double layer of cheesecloth on top of the bowl and use an elastic or rubber band to secure the cloth over the bowl.
- Strain the marijuana butter by passing the mixture through the cheesecloth. This material will be able to hold any plant material and impurity that wants to pass through.
- After passing all the mixture through the cheesecloth, remove the elastic and pick up the material. Hold it from all four sides so you can squeeze all the remaining cannabutter from the mixture. Repeat this process as many times as you wish to get purer cannabutter.
- When you are satisfied with the result let it cool for about an hour.
- Place the finished product in the fridge until the butter has become solid. This only means that the THC and other cannabinoids have attached to the butter. Leave this in the fridge at least overnight.
- Use a knife to pass around the edge of the container to remove the butter from the bowl or container. Lift the butter out and place it upside down on a plate. Remove the underside which is usually made of the cooking water. After doing this, you now have pure cannabutter that you can use for cooking and baking and on bread and other buttery treats.